• For those with wings fly to your dreams

    Why I love my work


    It finally hit me just why I love doing energy audits, especially commercial.

    It's perfect for my 'Jack of all trades' knowledgebase.

    In my current jobs I input and conduct audits on a huge variety of businesses.  We take tons of pictures and then later label them accordingly.  My 3 years of experience in the kitchen has been super handy identifying all the random equipment one sees in a kitchen. Being able to tell the difference from the "silver boxes". Warmer versus oven, freezer versus cooler.  Convection versus combination ovens.  Then there's just those really random things like pressure cookers, chill counters, things like that. When we do an audit, being comfortable walking in a kitchen without slipping. Not being afraid of being locked in a freezer. I knew this engineer cook thing was relevant.

    The other day I did an audit for a musical venue.  It was a high school flashback for sure.
    I'm not sure if I ever mentioned. I went to a fine art school. Davidson Fine Arts.  It's the reason I can't watch Glee or Fame. It would surely give me flashbacks.  8 years of the most demanding academic and artistic strife I've ever experienced. but that's another post. 

     As they were showing me around, I noted everything quite specifically as I tend to do.  64 channel audio mixer, audio deck with sequencer, etc. Logged the microphones as lav, hypercardiod, omni etc.  The piece d'resistance was when I kept saying striking to test the efficacy of some of the lights.  That AV guy was either very impressed or very confused.  All I can say is thanks to Hennessey, my AV teacher from middle/highscool. I was on the AV crew 7th-12th grade at an art school. They didn't play around. I recall days I had to pack a lunch and a dinner during the final rehearsals.

    The printers we've been to, recognizing plotters, the grocery stores. So many bits and bobs of info I've picked up in life have proved handy.

    Have a good weekend! See you in December!


    0 comments:

     

    About me

    I'm a 20-something Southern girl living in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've been working in the wild and wacky world of non-profit green construction in one way or the other for over 3 years. I'm also the owner of Oakland's own Engineered Cupcake.

    Experience