• For those with wings fly to your dreams

    Butternut squash mac n cheese (Dairy version)


    I told you I wasn't kidding with the mac!  This was last Friday's mac. I previously made a vegan version of this recipe and it was really good, gotta post that recipe.  This one on the other hand was using what I had on hand, which was some milk, white cheddar, mustard greens, and a corner of Jarlsberg cheese I had.  The cook's thesaurus says that  Emmentaler, Gruyère ,  Swiss, or raclette will work to sub for the Jarlsberg. 


    So if you're looking for something different to add to the Thanksgiving queue tomorrow, definitely give this a go. Or even better, if you find yourself with leftover squash, pumpkin, etc.  I could imagine this making a great springpad (pun so intentional) for some glorious leftover casseroles.
    Butternut Squash Mac n Cheese Dairy Version (springpad link)
    Ingredients
    2 tbsp flour
    • 2 tbsp regular olive oil OR Butter
    • 2 cups of milk
    • 2 cloves garlic smashed
    • 1 tsp mustard powder (yes prepared mustard will work)
    • 1 cup butter nut squashed
    • 3/4 cup jarlsberg
    • 1 cup (at least) white cheddar
    • mix-ins: extra diced squash, cooked kale, mustard  greens etc.
    • fresh grated nutmeg
    • 8oz (1/2 lb) cavatappi pasta (regular elbow mac works too

    Directions
    1. Make sure you have a cup of butternut squash. Prepare it by roasting with olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. You can also use tinned squash or pumpkin.
    2. Make sauce: Heat fat (oil or butter) on medium heat. stir in flour and whisk till smooth. Add mustard and garlic. Gradually add milk and whisk stirring constantly till velvety smooth. Melt cheeses in sauce till smooth and velvety. (Oh it's getting good now: I personally add some nutmeg here too but unless you really like nutmeg I wouldn't recommend it)
    3. Cook Pasta according to directions.
    4. In some fashion blend squash and 1/2 cup of cheese sauce. I used my Magic bullet. You can use a blender, mixer, or yes even a regular masher (what I used before I had said magic bullet.
    5. Add squash sauce back to main pan.
    6. Add cooked Pasta
    7. Stir in mixed ins

    Stovetop Style Heat  through and serve topped with shredded cheddar and walnuts. Grate some fresh nutmeg on top if you have. You'll thank me.

    Baked Mac (which is awesome) Portion into casserole dish accordingly. I have to 2 minis. add cheese and walnuts broil for about 5 minutes. till browned and crispy and delicious.

    Enjoy!

    0 comments:

     

    About me

    I'm a 20-something Southern girl living in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've been working in the wild and wacky world of non-profit green construction in one way or the other for over 3 years. I'm also the owner of Oakland's own Engineered Cupcake.

    Experience