• For those with wings fly to your dreams

    School's out for now


    I finally finished my classes at Laney College!  A couple of weeks ago I had my finals and on April 4th we had a small ceremony to recognise the accomplishments that our group have achieved. 
    Over the past 10 weeks I learned alot about the world of energy efficient retro-fitting and green building in general.  I learned how to conduct a blower door test and how to do the relevant calculations, honestly that was my favourite topic we learned in construction class.  I love tests and calculations!  We had some really great teachers who had a real passion for what they do.  Every class I learned something different but I admit that "The Sustainable Built Enviroment" was my favourite class, it was twice a week and taught by John Shurtz.  We learned so much about green building materials, off-gassing, different types of insulation and construction, it blew my mind!  My family and friends have been on me to get LEED certification and I didn't really see the point until I took this class. Now I so want to become a LEED Green Associate and one day a LEED AP. 
    For the past few months my interests in engineering had been waning, I figured I'd been out of school to long to have any hope of really getting an engineering position. That I'd have to go with technology education, which I do love doing but it's not what I went to school for. It's not what I've been striving to be since I was 7.  But now I see that I do have chance and that there are things that I can do to add to my engineering education that cost little to nothing.

    The next step is to figure out exactly how I will describe this 10 week course on my resume' and to start trying to get out there in the "Green World" of Northern California.  I've already signed up for 2 classes at Pacific Gas and Electric (PGnE) one is called Integrating Energy Efficiency & Renewables in Home Retrofits  and the other is "Climate Based Daylighting & Analysis".  I really feel that my months of being underemployed are drawing to an end and I can't wait to start working and putting all the knowledege I learned at Georgia Southern and at Laney to good use.

    1 comments:

    Janey said...

    I think it would be awesome to learn how to do a blower door test. I've always thought that our front door was leaking warm air, but I haven't had the chance to get the test done. Too bad I don't just know how to do it on my own or have the right equipment. Do you have any tips on getting started in the "green world"?

     

    About me

    I'm a 20-something Southern girl living in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've been working in the wild and wacky world of non-profit green construction in one way or the other for over 3 years. I'm also the owner of Oakland's own Engineered Cupcake.

    Experience