• For those with wings fly to your dreams

    Bacon and rosemary scones


     I have a huge rosemary plant growing at my place.  I enjoy adding it in dishes from pasta to beef but since its fruition I have been wanting to make some scones with rosemary.  Preferbly with bacon, everything is better with bacon.

    Well I finally got around to it this evening. This is only the second time I made a savoury scone. I adapted a recipe I found, with a bit of this and that.  The original recipe can be found here


    Bacon and Rosemary Scones

    Ingredients
    6 oz all purpose flour (about 1.36 let's say 1 and 1/3 cup)
    1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon of mustard powder
    4 tbsp soft salted butter (I actually used "lite" butter, b/c that's all I had)
    4oz Feta
    A good-sized sprig of rosemary, washed, then finely chopped
    1 large  egg
    3 tablespoons of nonfat greek yogurt
    about 1/2lb of bacon baked,  chopped
    Ground pepper for topping

    Procedure
    Preheat oven to 425F  or 220c (not exact conversion but for simplicity's sake)

    Method
    1. Sift all of the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl.
    2. Rub in butter until mixture is crumbly-ish
    3. In a seperate bowl beat egg and yogurt, leave a touch to brush the tops before baking
    4. Add feta and rosemary to flour mixture
    5. Blend into a dough (add a touch of flour if wet, yogurt if too dry)
    6. Fold in bacon
    7. Flour your area (counter top, I used a sheet of wax paper on my counter)
    8. Roll dough till it's around 3/4 inch thick (for minis, 1 inch for regular scones)
    9. Cut with  1 inch rounds (or 2-3 inch for regular) and place onto greased baking sheet (or wax paper on a baking sheet)
    10. Brush with remaining egg milkture, dash a bit of pepper on scones
    11. Bake for 10-13 minutes
    12. Cool
    13. Enjoy!

    0 comments:

     

    About me

    I'm a 20-something Southern girl living in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've been working in the wild and wacky world of non-profit green construction in one way or the other for over 3 years. I'm also the owner of Oakland's own Engineered Cupcake.

    Experience