• For those with wings fly to your dreams

    Tofu Donuts!?


    You know what the hardest part about losing weight is for me? The food cravings, lol. I had a dream the other night that I was eating a grilled cheese sandwich (mild cheddar, goat cheese and sundried
    tomatoes, fyi) with a Vanilla Bean Milkshake. Doesn’t that sound delicious!?

    And temptation is everywhere, I don’t believe that losing weight is about deprivation just self contol  We had donut day in the office  the otherday. So I made vegan donuts. I modified this recipe from a Cookpad recipe, to make it completely vegan and rounder measurements.
    Silken tofu is the key to these donuts, that give them a softness that almost (almost) reminds me of that great North Carolina brand: Krispy Kreme.  Admittedly I don't often cook with silken tofu but I think may more.

    Cookpad is a Japanese social cooking site, it has some amazing recipes. Personally for me, recipes in Japanese are easier to read than allot of things. But fear not, there is an English version! What I love about Japanese (and to a great extent-Southeast Asian) baked goods is they tend to have less sugar than their American counterparts. I suppose because we're usually drinking them with green tea? We don't like sugar laden foods?

    These donuts are so tastey, especially when they’re warm. The neatest part about these 3 of these only have 110 calories or in the words of a great man.."You can eat like 10 of these and still be under 400 calories"

    Ingredients
    8 oz silken tofu
    2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
    4 teaspoons maple syrup
    1 1/2 teaspoons grapeseed oil
    1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup cake flour
    2  teaspoons baking powder
    1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    pinch of salt

    Procedure
    Preheat oven to 375 and spray evenly your donut pan with nonstick cooking spray
    1. In the bowl of your food processor add in tofu, brown sugar, maple syrup, oil, and extract. Blend until smooth and consistent. Alternatively use a blender.
    2. Sift together remaining ingredients (flour, cinnamon, ginger, salt, baking powder, sugar). Whisk to ensure even blending
    3. Whisk in tofu mixture into flour mixture. Whisk until smooth.
    4. Use a piping bag or zipbag with batter. Cut the tip off about 1/2" diametre hole.
    5. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until when lightly pressed they spring back
    6. While warm you can put them in bag with some cinnamon sugar for dusting.

    Now if you’re listened to the reviews on amazon.com for the mini donut pan than you already have 2 and you can go ahead and bake all 2 dozen. But this batter "keeps" well so the second batch should be fine. Apparently the second time I made them... I had a lot of batter left over and my friends used the batter for pancakes. Nice.

     


    0 comments:

     

    About me

    I'm a 20-something Southern girl living in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've been working in the wild and wacky world of non-profit green construction in one way or the other for over 3 years. I'm also the owner of Oakland's own Engineered Cupcake.

    Experience