• For those with wings fly to your dreams

    Back and Peachy Keen!























    I thought about just ignoring the fact that I literally up and disappeared for over a month from the blog. Life just went a little awry and slowly but surely getting life back to abnormal in regards to total health.

    One of the more amusing things that's happened with my health is just in general dealing with a new insurance that I have on this job:Kaiser. I was in an accident that really threw my body for a loop. One of the unexpected side effects was high blood pressure.

    Earlier this summer my blood pressure was 150/100 area. I assumed it was stress and my doctor half-heartedly agreed. I know that I've got  the markers for high blood pressure: black and overweight. In reality though, I'd always had normal blood pressure and as an adult have had low-ish blood pressure. Maybe it's the combination of the WLS, decent eating, and being a pedestrian Fast forward a month nothing drastic, calmed down on the sugar more than anything, blood pressure had eased to 108/60, still a bit higher than my norm which is 95/50.

    Still I'm eating more fruits and vegetables ever since my doctor told me I needed 5 cups of fruits and vegetables a day. That is a lot of fruits and veggies. My average was about 2-3 (so within the 5 servings I thought I was aiming for). It means everytime I eat something there should probably be a fruit or vegetable in the snack/meal. Breakfast being the toughest.  This week I tried something new. Peaches are everywhere, so I tried my hand at Oatmeal stuffed peaches in the toaster oven at work. So delicious and simple to make. I saw this recipe a few places online but it wasn't really health-forward with butter and brown sugar. I had coconut cream and found it a good medium to make the oatmeal more like streusal.

    Baked Peaches stuffed with Oatmeal
    Ingredients

    1 fresh peach
    1 tbsp plus 1 tsp coconut cream
    honey (optional)
    1 cup oats
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp ginger
    diced fine crystalized ginger (optional for topping)

    Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
    Cut peaches in half using a sharp knife and scoop out the pits with a melon baller or spoon, creating a well for your oat topping (make sure peaches are very ripe!).

    In a small bowl mix together oats, cinnamon, ginger, blend in coconut cream, and honey to taste. (I used some leftover sweetened coconut cream so I didn't add anything in.)

    Spoon in oat mixture into peach halves, making sure to pack firmly. depending on the size of the fruit you may get 1/4 to 1/2 cup of oats in the fruit.

    Top with crystallised ginger

    Bake for 15-20 for slightly soft peach, still crunchy oatmeal (my pref) 20-30 for a more caramelised peach with softer oatmeal.


    If I'm only making one for myself, I stored the peach half wrapped and the oatmeal mixture separate for the next day.



    Good to be back,

    Jasmine






    0 comments:

     

    About me

    I'm a 20-something Southern girl living in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've been working in the wild and wacky world of non-profit green construction in one way or the other for over 3 years. I'm also the owner of Oakland's own Engineered Cupcake.

    Experience