• For those with wings fly to your dreams

    Engineered Cupcake: our muffins


    Let's talk about the quiet star of Engineered Cupcake.
    You know like Vivian Vance, Floyd the Barber, and Benson in Soap these have a steady following. Often regulated to sensible events like morning meetings, brunches, conferences, their only party is when we have them at markets. Yet, they are a necessary component in the EC menu.

    it's so big...
    The first thing you'll notice about EC muffins is their size. Their made in a normal muffin/cupcake pan and are  slightly larger than our cupcakes. In contrast to the muffins you see at cafes and bakeshops these days, these are not "Texas" sized muffins. The reasoning came during my market research before launching the business.

    While I was researching what items and flavours to offer I got allot of great feedback from my friends and co-workers that run the gambit: vegans, celiacs and wheat sensitive, construction folk, and the culinary experienced.  Nothing garnered greater passion than muffins. My friends with restaurant experienced assumed that I would "of course" offer Texas size muffins.
     Nobody disliked regular muffins but Texas size muffins, some were humorously admittedly against it. My favourite quotes were:

    "Those big ass muffins piss me off"
    "...I hate it when people cut muffins in half, like come on!"
    "You know like sometimes I want to try a chocolate and a blueberry but they're so big I have to choose one"
    "One muffin, and boom! my pouch is out for the count " - Me 
    Atomic Muffin (and me)
    The other reason is nutrition, even our Atomic muffins (chock full of flaxseed, whole wheat flour, wheat germ, etc.) will lean to the dessert side at Texas muffin size. Texas muffin tins make a 200 calorie regular Harvard school of Public Health  and an  "eat this not that" on banana walnut muffin.

    muffin into a 540 calorie monstrosity. Did some more research and found an interesting article from

    With that I decided to offer regular and  mini sized muffins, priced appropriately. Regular size vary from 1.50 to 2.00, mini .50 to 1.25 depending on tier. So far it has been a hit, I even had one client contact me specifically because EC has normal sized muffins. Some of our most popular flavors are:

    • Orange Cranberry
    • Atomic
    • Hella Vegan Zucchini Muffins
    • Chocolate Walnut (vegan)
    • Blueberry cornmuffins (gluten free)

    and here's my plug: if you're in the Bay Area and you're interested in ordering some of these yummy mini or regular sized muffins, contact me!

     

    About me

    I'm a 20-something Southern girl living in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've been working in the wild and wacky world of non-profit green construction in one way or the other for over 3 years. I'm also the owner of Oakland's own Engineered Cupcake.

    Experience