• For those with wings fly to your dreams

    3phase love


    When I was in college, I spent my last 2 years falling in love with Electrical Distribution and Transmision.

    I had finished wading through 1.5 years of Java, Object Oriented Programming theory, discrete math, and Calculus 2 and 3. Signal Process was looming in my future. And as I started to store all this knowledge it started to weigh me down.

    Then I took "Electrical Distribution Systems" and my world changed.  Sounds corny but it's true. Learning about 3 phase power recharged my love for Electrical Theory.

    Now I find myself in the Commercial Solar class at Solar Richmond.  A great organization in itself and one of GRID's job training partners.  Similarly to Japanese, this is my first true "solar" class despite being in this not so new brave world of Green for about 2 years.  It's always interesting because I find that when it comes to some things (i.e Programming, Circuit Building, etc.) I learn better first in the class room and then applying it. However when it comes to solar, 10 or so installs I've done with GRID have helped me learn way more about solar basics.  It's good though because I can ask some truly random questions about PV and learn some finer details.

    So far the class is aimed at the labouring side of things, though there are quite  a few of us for various reasons  , who are not trying to become labourers but rather salespeople, designers, owners, etc.  I'm personally hoping that some design comes my way.  PV System design is fun stuff.

    This weekend we'll be learning 3 phase power, and I can't wait to help my classmates understand the concepts and see it an actual way.


    0 comments:

     

    About me

    I'm a 20-something Southern girl living in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've been working in the wild and wacky world of non-profit green construction in one way or the other for over 3 years. I'm also the owner of Oakland's own Engineered Cupcake.

    Experience