• For those with wings fly to your dreams

    Teach 'em how it's done


    As of late, I've been very busy on the tutoring scene. From pre-algebra to Cascading Style Sheets(CSS), if I'm proficient in it then I will teach you how you can do it too! I mostly tutor adults (within that group mostly baby-boomers) in technology topics, it's my favourite topic. With this recession passing at turtle's pace, folks are using their abundant free time to improve their computer skills. Just as I spent a quarter at Laney College, my clients are trying to gain skills to hopefully gain employment.

    Within technology there are hundreds of topics, however I get the most requests to learn internet tools. "Teach me the Facebook" is my favourite quote because now more than ever, everybody and their mom (and mine!) is using Social Networking. To the tech-savvy of all ages, Facebook doesn't seem to be a difficult concept. But to those who used computers strictly for word processing, or never really used computers at all, it's like learning a new language. In a sense it is a new language, a new way of doing things. Words like "Friending, Google it, Tweet, Tagging, etc." are totally new to my clients and I help explain them.

    This summer I plan on volunteering at the Eastmont Technology Centre, in East Oakland. They're very interested in a class on social networking and I'm modifying one of my favourite workshops "Internet Safety and Responsibility"(ISR) for their audience. ISR is a 2 part class. The first part is on getting online, how to clear cache, and safety on public computers. The second part is the "fun" part, it's a basic introduction to Social Networking. I focus on the three that people here in the Bay seem to use the most: FaceBook, LinkedIn, and Twitter. Within this primer on social networking are the "do's and dont's" of Social Networking. This is still a new frontier and people still aren't convinced that their privacy is in danger. I always try to find news articles on great examples, if you know of any good stories feel free to e-mail me a link to the article at info@hirejasmine.com.

    Till next time,

    0 comments:

     

    About me

    I'm a 20-something Southern girl living in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've been working in the wild and wacky world of non-profit green construction in one way or the other for over 3 years. I'm also the owner of Oakland's own Engineered Cupcake.

    Experience