• For those with wings fly to your dreams

    Time is winding down


    I know I know... where have you been?

    I have been so incredibly busy between my project at OTX, Japanese school, job hunting, and trying to have some type of regular social life. So clearly my blogs have suffered. I'd like to tell you I'm going to do better but I'm not going to make a promise I'm not sure I can keep, lol. Well I'm certainly going to try.

    My time in Americorps is winding down. Get Connected Oakland is now simply a matter of maintenance and find more resources. I need to attend some beginning computer classes around here so I can add those to the database.

    Alot of people back home still think that I'm just as Glenn Beck would say "a bureaucratic slave to the President" not my family and friends (of varying political views) but narrow-minded people. I don't doubt that Obama becoming the President fueled some people to become an Americorps. But not me, I joined because I found the Digital Service Arts Corps an opportunity to use my technical skills for good. Because as much as I love cooking I didn't want to spend another year in a kitchen not using any part of engineering degree. Nearly a year has passed, my Americorps experience has definitely been different than I anticipated. But how can you anticipate moving to Oakland, to work and live for a year on pauper's wages (half of pauper's wages).

    As for what's next, it's all about the dollar , Canadian dollar, or yen. I'd like to stay here in the Bay and live in Oakland for a bit longer or go back to the South, namely North Carolina. I've got to go where the money goes though. I've had one interview and put in only about 10 job applications so far. It's just been hard to find jobs out there. So if anybody knows of a company in the Bay or on the East Coast that's looking for entry level engineers, let me know.



    0 comments:

     

    About me

    I'm a 20-something Southern girl living in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've been working in the wild and wacky world of non-profit green construction in one way or the other for over 3 years. I'm also the owner of Oakland's own Engineered Cupcake.

    Experience