• For those with wings fly to your dreams

    Like a whole 'nother country


    That's kind of how I feel.

    It's been a week in California, almost 2 weeks away from home and it still in some ways feels like a dream. Sometimes I feel like I'm in another country. Part of me feels like that my travels in life have made me prepared for some things and growing up in diverse town gives me a better edge than being from some parts of the South. But a week in and I still have this need to compare everything to 'back home' but it has only been a week. And I'm in a place I've never even seen until that Thursday nite when I walked out of the Oakland Airport into cool and foggy scene.

    It's also very interesting how back home I felt a touch liberal than the average person and here in some ways I feel like a prude. A lot of people talk to Mary Jane it seems. Not that I care, but it's still illegal.

    I had a lot of ideas about what I thought this part of the country would be like. Just like how some people out here have their misconceptions about the South. So far the two biggest misconceptions falling down on my end are: people aren't nice and friendly (not that everyone back South is either) and that there were no fat people <-- that one I was so serious about.

    I'm not saying it's a good thing that there are a decent amount of overweight people, it only proves that the obesity epidemic is a nation-wide problem. But as rather large person myself and still in my youth, I seriously had a fear I'd be some fat freak of nature. And even some of my friends and family were concerned that there would be nowhere for me to shop out here.

    It's going to be interesting what other new things I find out as this year unfolds.

    0 comments:

     

    About me

    I'm a 20-something Southern girl living in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've been working in the wild and wacky world of non-profit green construction in one way or the other for over 3 years. I'm also the owner of Oakland's own Engineered Cupcake.

    Experience