• For those with wings fly to your dreams

    Room Search Continues


    The room search in East Bay has been insane. Between the deposits and the eclectic lifestyles of some people seeking room-mates it's been a lot more tedious than I imagined. All I want is a space of my own, with walls and a door. Not horribly small, that's empty and simple with a decent kitchen to cook in, and cable and internet. Without an extraordinary amount of domestic animals.

    Easier said than done, especially on my Americorps stipend. Maybe it's just me but I refuse to pay 400 USD to share a room with a stranger, or really anybody for that matter outside of an significant other. Here are just some of the phrases I've read while room search

    - 420 friendly
    - 420 all day every day
    - $500 roomshare
    - Zen Catholic Gentlemen will have...
    - Apartment for free in exchange for cooking cleaning as well as some behind close doors services
    - the lovely ladies who give us unlimited joy, and also eggs.
    - vegan household : no animal products allowed in kitchen
    - television free community: so we can create rather than imitate.

    I thought I was picky. Then there's the whole 'what's safe, what's not'. People outside of Oakland swear I should head to surburbia. People in Oakland say stay away from East Oakland, but some say it's west Oakland. I've seen parts of San Leandro that I rather had not. I've met some interesting and colourful people. I've seen some ridiculous prices. I'm starting to get a feel on things and I think that this housing search may take a tad longer than I originally anticipated.

    Wish me luck!

    DK


    0 comments:

     

    About me

    I'm a 20-something Southern girl living in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've been working in the wild and wacky world of non-profit green construction in one way or the other for over 3 years. I'm also the owner of Oakland's own Engineered Cupcake.

    Experience