• For those with wings fly to your dreams

    Why engineering?


    I figured I should start this thing with some more information about me. Well it's obvious, I'm a girl and I'm starting my career in engineering. Electrical Engineering to be exact. My degree's in electrical engineering technology which is like EE but with 2 less maths and twice as many labs. I'm not even kidding, I'm suprised they didn't give us a lab for Engineering Economy. Georgia Southern's engineering department, loves to focuse on real world, field engineering; not neccesarily theory and whatnot.

    I know I just started and since when I entered GSU I was a computer engineering major hellbent on taking over microsoft and now an EET focusing on industry, I know that plans are always subject to change. However right now my main goal is to pass the EIT exam in April so I can eventually become a licensed professional engineer. I'm not sure where life will lead me, though I am partial to design engineering, always have been. I want to grad school, but I don't know if I want to go for pure engineering, an engineering science, or go a bit left field and get my masters in Industrial Design.

    I've wanted to be an engineer since I was 6 or 7. My older sister, Dante' went to MIT for EE and that's where it started. It's very ironic now, since she's got an MBA now and is majorly a big high roller in the business world. She said she knew before she graduated she wasn't going into engineering. That's always been my issue to deal with because I was horrible at math, my whole life and people tended to think the only reason I wanted to be an engineer was beause she was. All the while I never really realised until I was in college that she never worked as an engineer and had moved on to bigger better things.

    It is true that I have to try hard at math. I had to take Calc 2 three times. I thought I would never pass. But I did, finally. But that never stopped me, I've defied a lot of odds in life so I wasn't about to let calculus defeat me. Besides I did very well in physics and in most of my engineering classes, because that was interesting it was more than numbers. Though I admit my least favourite classes were Signal Processing and Communication Electronics. The teacher was boss, the topic just bored me to tears. My favourite classes were, electronics advanced and beginning, PLC's, Drafting, and rotating machinery classes. In fact I loved all my classes except for the communication ones.


    Finally I answer a question that many people ask: "If you could do anything for a living what would it be?" I'd be a kitchen appliance design engineer. Or I'd design vending machines, must be the japanese in me.
    I think that's enough for now.

    0 comments:

     

    About me

    I'm a 20-something Southern girl living in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've been working in the wild and wacky world of non-profit green construction in one way or the other for over 3 years. I'm also the owner of Oakland's own Engineered Cupcake.

    Experience