• For those with wings fly to your dreams

    Engineered cupcake: a dream in the works



    Strawberry Chiffon Cupcakes
    with Champagne Buttercream Icing
    /yesterday was my birthday.   Not a milestone by any stretch of the imagination.  I still remain firmly a twenty-something with 30 gunning for me.  But as Sophia from "Golden Girls" said "Every year without a headstone is a milestone" ha.

    People always ask "what did you do for your birthday", this year I affirmed that I am ready to take hold of my other passion.
    Baking , I love to bake. It's a stress reliever, it's a creativity release, it's how I show my appreciation.  Baking is a beautiful science.  Many of my friends don't understand how I can just go in the kitchen and experiment with baking. Trust me, it's been a process.  As I tell people who compare my feasibility as baker versus engineer; You must keep in mind I've been baking since I was a kid, almost 20 years. Wait till I've been engineering for 20 years, it'll be unbelievable, lol.
    But I digress,
     I've been wanting to sell my baked goods as long as I can remember and now it's a possibility!

    Thanks to AB1616 I can sell home-baked goods.  Planning is in progress.

    Starting small is key, the types of goods I want to sell are:
    • Cupcakes
    • Muffins/ Breakfast breads
    • Cookies
    • yeast breads
    The name? Obviously "Engineered Cupcake" precisely baked goodness. This is seriously hard work, I kinda knew it would be but I never imagined. I've learned alot from my nearly 4 years of working in restaurants  hotels, country clubs, and for caterers.  Lessons that I keep to heart.

    Right now is mostly research and development. Development of the menu, pricing, finalizing the logo.  Development of the menu of course means lots of taste testing. In a stroke of irony, one of the most popular cakes seems to be chocolate. It's ironic because I personally don't really go for chocolate cake. That's probably the reason I bake chocolate goods so much, I don't eat too much of it. lol.
    The other thing is knowing my local demographic, so vegan and/or gluten free are a must.  In the past week I've made about 5 batches of chocolate cake... mercy.  I think the vegan gluten free chocolate mini cupcakes I baked for my birthday celebration are pretty near "the one".

    I figured my birthday was a perfect time to taste test some recipes with my friends, etc.
    Baked

    • Coco-coconut Cupcakes with Cocoa Hazelnut Icing (Vegan AND Gluten Free)
    • Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Orange Butter-cream Icing (Gluten Free)
    • Strawberry Chiffon Cupcakes with Champagne Butter-cream Icing

     Ideally I'm hoping to have my license in the next 2 weeks and aiming to sell at March's Art Murmur.

    Stay tune for all the exciting things to come!

    Happy Friday,
    Jasmine

    0 comments:

     

    About me

    I'm a 20-something Southern girl living in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've been working in the wild and wacky world of non-profit green construction in one way or the other for over 3 years. I'm also the owner of Oakland's own Engineered Cupcake.

    Experience