• For those with wings fly to your dreams

    10 year annivesary of my WLS



    10 years ago in early May 2002, I embarked on a journey that changed my life.  It's been a decade since my gastric bypass surgery. Some 10 years later, 4 inches taller, over 150lbs lighter, my life has changed in so many ways. As nervous and scared I was about having the surgery, I know that had I not had the surgery 
    I would not be here today.

    I've learned so much and even though I've still got a ways to go: I'm so proud of what I've accomplished.Every year is more healthier than the last. I'm so grateful to the universe, my parents who made the decison for me to have the surgery, Doctors Martindale and Billingsley (Surgeon and Peditrition) and all of my friends and family that love me for who I am and support me before, during, and since.

    Do you know that most WLS patients only lose 40-65lbs? That the death rate may be as high as 1%? That over 50% of people who have WLS gain the weight back within 10 years? 

    Sometimes I still miss beef, especially philly cheesesteak.  I don't miss sweet tea, pop-tarts, or regular tinned icing.  I'm happy to have discovered tofu, wheatberries, and other healthful foods

    It's not a magic bullet at all. It was a lot of hard work and the best is yet to come.
    So what will the next decade bring? Hopefully the next 4 years will bring my health goal.      


    If you ever want to know one person's reality about WLS, feel free to just ask





    0 comments:

     

    About me

    I'm a 20-something Southern girl living in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've been working in the wild and wacky world of non-profit green construction in one way or the other for over 3 years. I'm also the owner of Oakland's own Engineered Cupcake.

    Experience