• For those with wings fly to your dreams

    Pacific Energy Center: Free Education for the win


    Everybody in life is different.   Lots of people are going back to school right now. For me, I think that going to grad school at this point would be "throwing money at the problem."  I feel like I haven't gotten my "return on investment" for my undergraduate degree so I can't talk myself into grad school just yet.  Also, when I started undergrad I "knew" I wanted to be a computer engineer, I realized that I should be a electrical/field engineer which is how I finished. I have no idea what to study in grad school.

    Last year this time I was in Laney's Green Jobs program, free tuition.  Now I'm still in a few classes there, auditting but most of my new knowledge comes from the PEC, Pacific Gas and Electric's Pacific Energy Center.  They have classes, 99% of which are free 1 day classes on a variety of topics.
    So far I've taken: 
    1. Energy Audit Skills: Tools, Data Collection Techniques, & Calculations 
    2. Integrating Energy Efficiency & Renewables in Home Retrofits
    3. Climate Based Daylighting & Analysis
    4. EnergyPro Nonresidential Software for Beginners
    5. Energy Auditing Techniques for Small & Medium Commercial Facilities (3day class)
    6. Photovoltaic (PV) Site Analysis and System Sizing




    In the next 90 days I'll be taking:


    EnergyPro Nonresidential Software - Advanced
    Inspecting Photovoltaic (PV) Systems for Code Compliance 
    Sketch Up Software for Solar Geometry
    Smart Grid Fundamentals


    They have a system where some classes qualify for Architects and they give "participation certificates" no matter what, so I think it's a good resume builder too.  I'll try to start talking more about these awesome classes. 

    0 comments:

     

    About me

    I'm a 20-something Southern girl living in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've been working in the wild and wacky world of non-profit green construction in one way or the other for over 3 years. I'm also the owner of Oakland's own Engineered Cupcake.

    Experience