• For those with wings fly to your dreams

    Makes me wonder


    There was something I said in an interview last week that really made me stop and think.

      "I've never had a job I didn't like because I don't apply for jobs I don't want"

    and it's true.  It may be the reason I'm still struggling along as part lab assistant/ part tutor/ occasional web developer and baker, but in the end I think that it's worth it. In this recession lots of us are applying for jobs haphazardly out need and desperation. Which I totally understand, I've opened myself up to opportunities I never imagined before but at the same time they've all been jobs that I really thought I could do well at.  Such as this lab assistant position: I work with high-schoolers something I never planned on doing. However since I had such a great experience at Laney as a student and Bruce Douglas is a really great teacher and engineer I wanted to help.  I've now had almost 3 years teaching experience, not to mention about 5 years of tutoring experience. Who knew that this would happen?

    As for tutoring, well tutors are expensive and rarely available for the people who need them.  Even my regular rate of $20.00/hr is really low compared to most computer tutors.  But the fact that if you've received a computer from OTX West you qualify for a reduced rate, pretty much unheard of.  There are free programs out there, but alot of the people I tutor work or can't get out much. Also most of the programs are over computer basics and office software, which is great I wish my hometown had more of that.  But when people want to learn how to make a blog, or a simple website, or the ins and outs of facebook, or how to get netflix to stream to their television, they call me.  When people already know the basics of Windows or if they can't keep up in the beginner's class, they call me.  One-on tutoring is a helpful thing when you're learning a new form such as computers.

    Throughout this recession I've developed my skills, particularly my organizational skills. Let's face it, when you have about 4 different jobs and you're looking for a job, you have got to be on top of it.  Google Calendar, Tasks, Contacts, and Docs has been my saving grace.  There have been weeks where I've had interviews, work, tutoring, class, and job applications due.  It's been really tough but honestly I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

    0 comments:

     

    About me

    I'm a 20-something Southern girl living in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've been working in the wild and wacky world of non-profit green construction in one way or the other for over 3 years. I'm also the owner of Oakland's own Engineered Cupcake.

    Experience