• For those with wings fly to your dreams

    5 Ways to get HFCS out of your life


    Well the health udpate is I gained 3lbs,  stress from the news in Japan, school, and my always present under-employment.  I need to relax and pay more attention to what's going in my body. Like my never-ending fight to avoid high fructose corn syrup (HFCS).  Honestly at this point I'm in it for 2 big reasons: it's not natural and I want all my bang for my buck. If I spend 3 dollars on a bottle of ketchup I'd better get the real deal.  Here's 5 ways that have helped me ease HFCS out my life:


    1. Switch your condiments Ketchup, honey mustard, salad dressings, so many of these have HFCS. My number one condiment is Ketchup, I'm not here to preach about the high salt of ketchup just the fact that it's supposed to have sugar and tomatoes and vinegar, nothing else.  By default Hunt's ketchup has no HFCS and it can be found at Dollar Trees if your lucky. It's a lot thicker and a touch sweeter than Heinz, which has always made it a natural favourite of mine.  
    2. Switch your "health foods"  So you gave up candy bars and skittles for yoghurt and fruit snacks?  Check the labels, you may still be in the same boat when it comes to unnatural sugars.  I grew up on flavoured yoghurt (my mom loves the stuff) but around 2008 I discovered Fage yoghurt and I haven't looked back. If you like thick creamy foods you'll love it!  There's store brands popping up nowadays but Fage 0% remains my favourite followed by Fage 2%, lol.
    3. Eat more whole foods This was the hardest part for me, I admittedly thrived off of  diet tv dinners, fruit snacks, and other foods. But I started noticing all the HFCS and other random food ingredients. I am slowly suceeding in eating more whole grains such as wheatberries, eating more raw fruits and veggies (esp with my greek yogurt) and fast food is losing appeal exponetially which leads me to...
    4. Cook more at home! It's a recession save money and your body!  You don't have to be a chef to whip a bit of something at home. Some Italian diced tomatoes over whole wheat cappellini with a bit of basil and cheese, a turkey sandwich, baked boneless chicken breasts. The more you do it the easier it gets! Your wallet and your body will thank-you
    5. Read labels!  All of the label I know us dieters are always looking at calories, fat, sugar, carbs, sodium whatever your modus operandi may be, but look a little lower at what is making up that food.  Nutra grain Apple cinnamon seem like a healthy treat but they have HFCS in them. who knew? I didn't until I looked. Be more aware of what you're putting in your body and no matter what your health goals may be you will see a difference. 

    0 comments:

     

    About me

    I'm a 20-something Southern girl living in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've been working in the wild and wacky world of non-profit green construction in one way or the other for over 3 years. I'm also the owner of Oakland's own Engineered Cupcake.

    Experience