• For those with wings fly to your dreams

    Back to the books


    In my first in what should be weekly updates on my job search, I need to tell you about the classes I´m going to be attending in a few weeks at a local college. Like alot of underemployed people I decided to go back to school. Though I haven´t decided what I what I want to get my Master´s in and I can´t get financial aid for a second Bachelor´s. I heard about a program to help young adults in their job search, particularly in the green job field which is hot hot in California right now. It´s a free 10 week program and some of what it covers includes:


    • Energy efficiency standards and weatherization principals: Remodeling and new construction of homes and commercial buildings; all aspects of: energy efficiency, design and systems of weatherization.
    • Introduction to technical and economic operating principles of electrical and mechanical devices for making cost-effective decisions and energy-efficient choices: Use of energy analysis software tools such as Energy+, Cal Arch, DOE 2, and others.
    • Introduction to basic concepts of Customer Service as applied to the skilled trades: installers, designers, estimators, and sales persons.
    • The Sustainable Built Environment covers principles, strategies and techniques in the fields of water and resource conservation, renewable energy and energy efficiency. Upon course completion students will be fully conversant in the trends and opportunities in green building, and will understand the terms and concepts for successful employment in the green building industry.

    The curriculum is aimed at those wishing to get a skilled labour position or obtain an associates degree.  So why is a B.S EET so excited about this program?  Those of you who know me, know I love the hands-on, hard-hat, getting dirty part of engineering. Also you get a certificate of completion so that can only add to the reasons a person should ¨Hire Jasmine¨.  I´m really looking forward to going back to school, albeit a little nervous.  I do keep my mind sharp, especially being a tutor but it´s always good to learn as much as you can.  I´m sure in the weeks ahead I will be posting more about it.

    As far as the job search goes I must confess since I am starting school my job search has narrowed abit. I am applying to the big companies for positions for new grads and also for part-time positions in the restaraunt industry as a cook, baker, assistant to pastry chef. So if you hear of any openings in Oakland, Berkeley or San Francisco (for SF it has to be during public transit hours so no morning bakery positions)  please let me know!

    0 comments:

     

    About me

    I'm a 20-something Southern girl living in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've been working in the wild and wacky world of non-profit green construction in one way or the other for over 3 years. I'm also the owner of Oakland's own Engineered Cupcake.

    Experience